Thursday, November 20, 2008

Remembering the martyrs and the viejitas

I've been sorting photos today - slowly moving through my six years of photos of our Sisters, events, ministries, and activities and moving them electronically from my computer to our system files. A tedious task, but also a nice trip through time. Among the photos were many from my time in El Salvador with a SHARE delegation in 2005 - we were commemorating the 25th anniversary of the 1980 martyrdom of four North American churchwomen - and among those was this photo of Josefina, the secretary for a cooperative farming settlement we visited.

Visitors to El Salvador are always taken by the children, who like children everywhere are beautiful, full of life. I love them, but I also love the elders who are tough and able and joyful, like Josefina. I'm an elder myself, looking forward to living in a society where las viejas are valued for their wisdom.

And it's only 38 days until I leave, so I'd better get back to sorting.

No comments:

Post a Comment