Friday, December 12, 2008

Cinco Colones

Andrea Nenzel, the Sister who asked me if I'd be interested in ministering in El Salvador, gave me a little bag with a 5 colones bill in it, and a 5 centavo coin. This is not going to get me many cups of coffee in El Salvador! When I first visited in 2001, colones were still in use, and they were pegged to the value of the dollar. One colón was worth 17 cents. Now they're not in use at all, and the U.S. Dollar is the currency of El Salvador. It seems sad to me, for a country not to have its own proper currency, though I understand that turning to the dollar means some fiscal stability. I think I'll keep that bill for memory.

I'll be travelling in 15 days.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we struggle to keep up, don't we Hermana Susana.
    I still have a small bag of Italian coins, so beautiful and creative, but useless now that the Euro has gobbled u local currencies.
    When in El Salvador, please go the the post office and see if they are still printing beautiful stamps of the country?
    Mail something to me with stamps on it!
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete