Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Melting requested

I am, we are, really really really tired of the snow. It was gorgeous the first day, being isolated in a snow-bound island was fun for a few days thereafter. Now it's outstayed its welcome: we want to get out, get in a car, drive away, go to a store, visit family and friends, do Christmasy things. Instead, we counted up the 10 cars that have stuck in the snow at St. Mary-on-the-Lake. We regretted St. Mary's lack of a snow blade which could have been bought for a mere $400 when the current mowing machine was purchased. We tried to figure out how we could get where we wanted to be on Christmas Day in spite of our immovable cars.

I did get out today, walked down to the nearby arterial, Bellevue Way, to meet friends for breakfast. On the way, I slipped on the ice and came down flat on my back and the back of my head - such a comprehensive fall that I'm sure my head bounced a few times. No harm done, I didn't even get a headache, and my shoulder is finally beginning to feel better. Good thing, because I couldn't find any doctor's offices that were open. We had a great breakfast and a great conversation. And in only four days, catastrophes notwithstanding, I fly to El Salvador where it never snows. Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

  1. RATHER SHOCKING TO SEE THE PHOTO OF YOUR CAR STUCK IN SNOW AT ST. MARY'S. Oops! Hit the caps.
    I expect to see that picture here in the northeast. Ready the temps for El Salvador I too, long for it and I am not even scheduled to go there. But, next winter perhaps yo can expect a guest, if I am walking.
    We have lots of rain today just before Christmas which did not become ice, deo gratias.
    I hope the winter storms recede in time for your departure. Or it could mean 2009 is designed for the virtue of Patience.
    Praying for your shoulder...
    In Peace, Lindy

    ReplyDelete