Sunday, December 7, 2008

What a lovely party!


Yesterday afternoon, at the end of a very beautiful Advent Reflection Day, my Sisters and friends blessed and missioned me for my new work in El Salvador, and thanked me for my past six years on the Province leadership team. It was great fun, including a song to the tune of "Deck the Halls" that included such lines as "We'll miss you Susan, that's for certain / Your absent space will leave us hurtin' Falalalalalalalala." I was touched by a book of photos and wishes or prayers from the community - and Sister Susan Francois (the other Sister Susan) video-taped the song and the comments so I can revisit this party whenever my absent space leaves me hurtin'.

All in all, it was a little like getting to hear the eulogies at my own funeral, without the messy business of having to die first. Embarrassing, but heart-warming! I was especially moved by this poem, which Sister Eileen Keane read:

Go to the people,
Live among them,
Learn from them,
Love them,
Start with what they know,
Build on what they have.
But of the best leaders,
When their task is accomplished
Their work is done,
The people will all remark
"We have done it ourselves."

Tao To Loa Tzuching in 700 B.C.

Twenty days to El Salvador!

No comments:

Post a Comment